Monday, July 20, 2009

Garden Gifts: Corn

Corn, corn, and more corn! Since my last post, our corn plants seamed to have decided that this was the week they wanted to give us corn. Don't get me wrong I love corn on the cob, but it's always hard to find recipe's to use it. I mean you can only eat so much corn on the cob in one day.... right? :)
The recipe I picked for today is called "Corn and Green Bean Casserole." It is my family's favorite corn casserole that we have ever had. We eat it as a side dish in a meal.
<><><>

Corn and Green Bean Casserole
14 1/2-oz. can French style green beans, drained

2 cups corn, washed

1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

1/2 cup onion, chopped

1 c. sour cream

8-oz. can sliced water chestnuts, drained

10 3/4-oz can cream of celery soup

1/2 c. butter, melted

1 sleeve of round buttery crackers, crushed

Directions:

Spread green beans on of an ungreased 13"x9" baking pan; layer corn on top. In a separate bowl, mix cheese, onion, sour cream, water chestnuts and celery soup together; spread over vegetables. Combine butter and crackers; sprinkle on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until golden. Serves 6.

<><><>

Although this recipe only serves six, it is very yummy. I would suggest doubling the recipe. We have had it several times with our grand parents. Corn on the cob (of course), is very yummy by itself but this is the best! Please comment if you have any recipe's!

In Him,


2 comments:

Amy Young said...

It sounds like your garden is doing pretty well! I hope my family can grow corn in our garden next year.
Do you remember me? You met me when your family visited Grace Community Bible Church. The church has a different name now, it's Grace Reformed Baptist Church. I hope we can see you again soon. <><

Rachel said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I am glad your garden is doing so well! I am not growing any corn (maybe someday?) but our garden has given us Tons! of tomatoes this year! Lot's of zucchini and squash too! You may want to look on some cooking sites like Betty Crocker and kraftfoods.com for recipes...they always have lot's of corn dishes! =:)

Blessings!
~Rachel~