Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Violin







Many of you may know that I love to play the piano.  And I do mean love.  I couldn't imagine life without it. When I'm in a huff over something, and have temporarily lost my ability to reason (hehe), my Mom knows what to do: "Kristin, go pray and play the piano." :) Yep, it's true.

But, there is another instrument that has also captured my love.  However, this instrument took much longer to learn to really love, and not just for its looks.   Only through many tears, have we come to the relationship that we have today. :) 

A few years ago on my birthday, my Memaw L brought a small, navy blue case to my house.  I had been thinking about learning how to play another instrument, but I wasn't sure yet which instrument I wanted to start.  When I opened the case, it was like love a first site.  It was so beautiful in that ragged blue case, that I couldn't stop looking at it.  I had absolutely no idea how to play it, or how to tune it, or really how to take care of it, but I was eager to learn.

Now fast forward two years. :)

I didn't practice, I didn't touch it, I was so frustrated with it!  My teacher said I was doing well, but I wasn't moving forward as fast as I wanted too.  "Why don't I sound good!  Why do I get so tired!" were questions I kept asking myself.  So, when I didn't get the results I wanted, I got bored with it and quit.

Gasp I know.  Great is the journey of maturity and patience in my life. :)

Fast forward, again, and here I was a year later, greatly regretting my decision to quit.  So I started back again, willing myself to keep on.  I still struggled though.

Oh boy, I struggled.

But I at least felt like I was getting somewhat better. 

And so I would have time lapses.  I would love it for a month, hate it for a month, and so on.  But, I did not want to quit again.

And now about now.

There are still many times when I wish I sounded like so-and-so, or could play notes as fast ever, but I have at least realized three things: that I need patience, prayer, and diligence to learn how to play this amazing instrument.  Somewhere, at sometime, God gave a person the smarts to create the violin.  And while I still need to strive to get better, and to push myself, I just want to say that if there is something in your life that your are struggling in...

Learn violin.

No, not really. :)

Turn to God and pray that He gives you the patience, strength, and diligence to keep on keep'n on.

Have a blessed day!

In Him,
Kristin


Now, I need to go practice... :)

4 comments:

MK said...

I, too, often have to resort to piano playing when I'm over-stressed or irritated about something. I thought I was the only one who found it helpful! :) I love your pics, btw!

K.E.A. said...

Thanks, MK! It's nice to know that I am not the only one too. :)

Allison said...

I definitely do that too. I started taking piano lessons about a year ago, and I fell in instant love with it. Great stress reliever. :)

Violin is next on my list.

Allison

P.S. I love your photos! They're so gorgeous, especially the first one.

Unknown said...

I could've written that... it speaks my journey nearly exactly!:) I love playing piano, too. Maybe because I don't have to get the intonation right for it to sound good...? :D